Aman and Sustainability
Aman is a company with purpose; we care about our guests, employees, suppliers, and the environments and communities that surround us. Our ethos has always been to support the well-being of people, society, and our planet, Earth.
The world is facing many challenges. At Aman, we believe in the ideals of sustainable development - leaving a better world to future generations – an ethos which remains at the forefront of our brand. Such ideals are in Aman’s DNA and have been part of the success of our brand since its inception, over 33 years ago. Cultivating a symbiotic relationship with the host community and the environment, Aman embraces the culture of its destinations, wherever it is in the world.
Aman's sustainability efforts combine the expertise of all of our hotel and resort teams around the world who consider the following four pillars in every aspect of their work – local heritage, local culture, environment protection and social responsibility, as recommended by the Global Sustainable Tourism Council (GSTC).
- Respect and preservation of native milieus and ecosystems: tree planting, the protection of mangrove, coral and sea turtles, clean beach initiatives, preservation of open lands
- Waste management: refuse, reduce, reuse, recycle
- Food waste management: composting
- Water conservation: low flow equipment, use of grey waters
- Energy efficiency: LED lighting in all properties
- Single use plastic: a commitment from all hotels eliminating single use plastic
- Education: programmes for young guests at Aman’s Nature Discovery Centers
- Kitchen gardens: growing of organic produce within the surroundings of the resort
- Unesco World Heritage: 15 properties are on or close to a Unesco protected site and support them actively, either in-kind or financially
- Protected landmarks: man-made, natural or spiritual landmarks are supported by Aman properties
- Indigenous traditions, craftsmanship, rehabilitation of lost traditions: all hotels support local artisans through purchasing and encourage guests to do the same
- Local cuisine: a celebration of local cuisine in at least one restaurant in every property, cooking classes dedicated to the local cuisine, activities for guests in the kitchen gardens and at local farms where they choose the produce to cook and then eat
- Gender equality, diversity: all resorts promote gender equality, while respecting local culture, and diversity
- Child protection: Aman enforces a strict policy with their suppliers about child protection
- Education, orphanage support, female empowerment and entrepreneurship: support to programs tackling issues for women, children, against poverty and hunger. All properties support local school programs and orphanages, support for female led businesses to create economic independence
- Local farmers, local vendors: employment priority to locals, support of local agriculture in culinary art, purchase of local products; fair trade, cage-free and free-range products
- Health: all properties offer healthy, sustainable, organic, seasonal food for guests and staff as well as providing the healthcare of employees and local communities